SUBJECTS OF ADMINISTRATIVE AND LEGAL REGULATION OF STATE LANGUAGE POLICY IN UKRAINE
Its language policy is important for the effective development and functioning of the state and society. Considering the global nature of the tasks that are being solved today, in particular, regarding ensuring the rights to own the official state language and the languages of national minorities, the constant attention to it by both the country’s leadership and the international community is understandable. The consequence of this was the creation of a system of governing bodies in the field of language policy, consisting of many state and non-state institutions, which are called to exert powerful influence on language relations in Ukraine.
The Constitution of Ukraine determined the peculiarities of the legal status of the authorities that are subjects of the state language policy. These include the following institutions: the Parliament of Ukraine, the President of Ukraine, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine, the National Commission for State Language Standards, etc. However, the effectiveness of their activities nowadays is not effective.
This situation is explained in particular by: insufficient modern technologies and appropriate technical support in the system of departments; the lack of clear coordination in the activities of entities that carry out administrative and legal regulation of the state language policy in Ukraine.
At the same time, despite the mentioned shortcomings, the system of institutions of administrative and legal regulation of the state language policy fulfills its main task, namely: it provides equal opportunities for people to communicate in the state and national minority languages. At the same time, priority is given to the preservation and development of the state language, the need to know it at an appropriate level for acquiring Ukrainian citizenship or occupying positions defined by law.
The purpose of the article is a legal analysis of the problems of the exercise of powers by subjects of power in the sphere of administrative and legal regulation of the state language policy of Ukraine.
- Constitution of Ukraine dated June 28, 1996. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/254%D0%BA/96-%D0%B2%D1% 80#Text [in Ukrainian].
- On the Principles of Domestic and Foreign Policy: Law of Ukraine dated July 1, 2010 № 2411-VI. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2411-17#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Kucherska, N.I. (2009). Legislative activity of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine: problems and ways of their solution. Bulletin of the Academy of Management of the Ministry of Internal Affairs. 63-72. [in Ukrainian].
- On the Plan of Legislative Support of Reforms in Ukraine: Resolution of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine dated June 4, 2015 № 509-VIII. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/509-19#Text [in Ukrainian].
- On Committees of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine: Law of Ukraine dated April 4, 1995 № 116/95-VR. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/116/95-%E2%F0#Text [in Ukrainian].
- On the List, Quantitative Composition and Subjects of Competence of the Committees of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine of the Eighth Convocation: Resolution of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine dated December 4, 2014 № 22-VIII. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/22-19#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Lopushanska, O.V. (2015). Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine as a Subject of Administrative and Legal Regulation of Language Policy. Scientific Bulletin of Uzhhorod National University. Series PRAVO, Issue 35, Part I, Volume 2, 126-129 [in Ukrainian].
- On ensuring the functioning of the Ukrainian language as the state language: Law of Ukraine dated April 25, 2019 № 2704-VIII. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2704-19#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Azhniuk, B. (2019). Criteria for evaluating language policy. Language legislation and language policy: Ukraine, Europe, the World (Collection of scientific papers). Kyiv: Dmytro Burago Publishing House, 25-50 [in Ukrainian].